Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Ed Banger and Mad Decent: 2 Nights of crazy dance parties

Ok, lets start off with Thursday night @ Hiro where I saw the Presets for the first of two shows in NY (the second in BK on Friday)... They were amazing, here are some pics:
the presets (the best pic I could get without being trampled by people in the crowd)

just look how packed it was
I'm not gonna lie, after the Presets and Busy P, the night got kind of blurry for me, but more party pics here.

Apparently, because there were some tickets to this sold out show still available at the door (which opened at 9pm) there was some beef outside. First of all, I got there at 9:07 or something and people were queing around the block like 3 people thick already. I somehow got myself in (thank you David!) and settled without TOO much of a hassle. Around, 10:30/11ish people were cutting the line and getting into fights where the police came out to stop them. I just am sort of shocked and proud that all these French hipsters could get that macho and aggressive. Vive la France!
-------------------------------------------------------------------
More Than Decent...
Ok, lets get into Friday night (the one I remember way more vividly for the music). I got there with my friend Meg at around 11pm definitely recognizing a lot of faces from the night before waiting in line again! We get in and Nic (catchdubs) was djing. There were strobe lights and sweaty dirty dance people writhing around the dance floor in every color fluorescent hoodies and ghetto gold-dope!
After getting settled in, Mad Decent's own Baltimore boy DJ Blaq Starr took the stage. I am embarrassed to say I never heard of him or his music, but when he starting freestyling over Rod Lee's "Dance My Pain Away" I knew he was up my alley.
Hes a dope producer and DJ who is apparently producing some tracks for the new M.I.A. record and has been described as "Something akin to the marriage of The Clipse, Carl Craig, and Peter Gabriel" and "violent, futuristic soul music" by Diplo. If you want to get at this amazing talent, u can grab an EP here.

Here's one of his productions with vocals from Rye Rye:
DJ_Blaq_Starr-Shake_It_To_The_Ground.mp3

Next up was bonde do role... I mean everyone knows they are dope, so I don't really need to say more about them. Here are some pics:




bondedorole - soltaofrango.mp3
bondedorole - gasolina.mp3

Then at some point in the wee hours of the morning, Diplo sprang into action, and was satisfying

Diplo vs The Beatles - Shhake It Up.mp3