Monday, January 08, 2007

Nobody Knows Cuckoo Canoe Is a Sheep In Wolves Clothes



Cuckoo Canoe may not have a fancy (or crappy) publicity photo of their band but that seems to kind of be their style. This band of Brooklynites, in addition to having some really good and catchy songs, have possibly the most random song and album names, that I happen to love!!
I have posted below just a few songs I like off the brand new (first) album “Basketball Freedom Overdrive”- I have to remember to ask them what the deal is with that title as well as their band name… all in good time.

Anywhoooooo, if the bass line doesn’t get you, the offhand, casual vocals bolstering the clever lyrics will! The groove isn’t overcomplicated and shows off the simplicity of their music—which is pure goodness. I love the singers voice (or drawl rather) in “Greatest Boyfriend,” and the swing of the chorus.

(I just realized I should disclaimer this: I try not to sound like a pretentious music snob (who uses big words bc she doesn’t get the music she is listening to) trying to sell everything I post as something super indie, not-meant-to-be-understood-but-generally-liked-by-the hipsters-ness by going on a musical explanation tirade that might (and quite possibly) be full of bullshit. I get it. So therefore when I do this, its ok-cause I know that. And that’s what’s important)

Anyway, I hope these boys from Brooklyn play a show soon… I need to see this band in action!

cuckoo canoe - alaska wolf slay
cuckoo canoe - you sunk my battleship
cuckoo canoe - greatest boyfriend

No comments: